Imagine the main street of Arichat in 1935. Currently, at the intersection of Conney’s (Delaney) Lane and the main road stand a former store and the old municipal building.
In 1935 the store was that of “Little” Joe Samson, and the “old” municipal building was only a bit over 20 years old.
Across from Little Joe’s store was an old house once owned by a Goyetche family. Next to this was a vacant area that would eventually be occupied by two dwellings, a new Royal Bank (1965) until its closure early in the 21st century.
Then in 1949 Jimmy MacDonald purchased the residence of George Spry and had it hauled up the hill by a construction company from Antigonish. Today Laurier and Myra (Hyland) Samson and their two daughters live there.
Next on this promontory overlooking the harbour was the home of brother and sister Johnny and Lizzie MacDonald. They were the children of Stephen MacDonald (who died in 1905) and Ann MacLean (who died in 1933) of Christmas Island. Other children were Roddie, Michael, Alexander, Sarah (Sadie), and Christina. Lizzie and Johnny adopted Jimmy in 1911.
In a previous life, 1902 to be exact, the house served as the second banking institution in the area known as the Union Bank of Halifax. Previous to this, it was owned by a family of Barretts who sold candy there. In the late 20th century, this old home was demolished.
Practically attached to Johnny and Lizzie’s was the home of Dan Campbell (who died in 1932). He and Evelyn Flynn (born in 1867) were married in 1903 and brought two children into the world, Evelyn (1907–1992) and Barbara (1906–1992). Dan Campbell was a leading citizen as principal of Arichat Academy and later as municipal clerk of the county.
Danny Sutherland and his sister Katie succeeded the Campbells and operated a tiny restaurant/store out of it, a favorite hangout of teenagers in the 50’s and 60’s. The Hassins, Ahmed and Nellie, were the next occupants and they operated a clothing store there until fire destroyed it in 1970.
Once again continuing east and on the waterside we arrive at the cottage of Bill Cutler. Born in 1853, he married Martha Crichton some 41 years later. Tragically, she died at the age of only 21. Mr. Cutler remarried to her sister, Christine. There were three children, Mary, Owen, and Ella who died in 2000. Bill Cutler died in 1945. The home was successively owned by Mr. and Mrs. Jim Monihan and finally by the family of Frederick and Cecile (Samson) Hyland (Eliza, Myra, and Simon). The house was built by E.C. Doyle in the 1920’s.
Next in line was the Bourinot house occupied by Bertram Bourinot, his son Marshall (1904-1991) and Marshall’s wife Ina (Mauger) whom he married in 1930. The Bourinots were known for their journalistic work as editors of the Richmond Record which Bertram founded in 1897 and was maintained by son Marshall and his son Lloyd until 1972.
Marshall was a renowned local historian who was honoured by the Order of Canada, which he received in 1985 for his outstanding service to his community. Five children were born to Marshall and Ina: Lloyd, Marion, Cline, Laura, and Muriel. Ina died in 2000 at the age of 92. The Bourinots were succeeded in this home by Cecile Chaisson and her husband, Walter Ashley.