Simon Forest, the son of Pierre Forest and Madeleine Babin, was born at Pisiquit (in the Minas Basin area) about 1724, and married about 1749 to Marguerite Gautrot, daughter of Jean Gautrot and Anne LeBlanc.
In 1755, during “Le Grand Derangement,” Simon and Anne were transported to Weymouth, Massachusetts, where they remained until they came to Arichat, 1763-64. According to Abbe J.B.A. Ferland (Journey of a Voyage on the Shores of Gaspesie, 1836, page 416), Simon Forest died in 1819 at the age of 95. He is the ancestor of the Forests of Isle Madame, Iles de la Madeleine, and Gaspesie.
Simon Forest, son of Simon Forest and Marguerite Gautrot, was born in exile at Weymouth, Massachusetts on February 20, 1757 during the expulsion of the Acadians. On July 28, 1771, he returned to Acadia with his parents where he was baptized at the age of 14 by Abbe Bailley. He was married about 1780 to Cecile Boudrot daughter of Louis Boudrot and Barbe Fougere. While in exile, Simon learned to speak English, and according to a letter sent by his great grandson, Bernard Pate, to Placide Gaudet, became a spokesman to the government for friends and neighbours. He died before April 17, 1809 when his widow sold his share of the Forest land grant to his brother Paul. His widow became a tavern keeper at Arichat.
Maximien Forrest, the son of Simon Forrest and Marguerite Gautrot, and brother to Simon Forest Jr. above, was also born in exile at Weymouth, Massachusetts on February 25, 1759. Returning to Acadia with his parents, he was baptized by Abbe Bailley at Arichat on July 28, 1771. He married twice, first in about 1780 to Scholastique LeBlanc, daughter of Rene LeBlanc and Anne Blanchard, and the second was around 1805 to Angelique LeBlanc, daughter of Joseph LeBlanc and Francoise Dugas and widow of Pierre Bernard Loubert. Maximien was a wholesaler, as well as owner and captain of several schooners. He died on February 28, 1840 at Arichat. He is the ancestor, through his son, Charles, of all the Forests of Bonaventure, Quebec.
Francois Marmeau operated a small grocery store in the Marmeau homestead which was located below the former St. Anne’s Hospital on the property later owned by Jesse Richard. The Marmeaus, natives of Bordeaux in France, made their way to Arichat in the early 1800s. The family soon became involved in the salt fish business, retail merchandising, and ship building. The Marmeaus, although they married into Acadian families on Isle Madame, eventually emigrated to the Massachusetts area of the U.S.
John Tyrrell was a prominent Arichat merchant. In 1834, when the Arichat Academy defaulted, as its principal creditor, he foreclosed on the school and took it over. Instead of closing it, he hired two lay teachers who instructed in English, French, Greek, Latin, history, geography, navigation, mathematics, logic, and rhetoric. This continued until 1842 when the school was closed for want of a teacher.