Wednesday, September 22, 2021
Home Opinion Repeating History

Repeating History

It is 1935, Main Street Arichat, and we are nearing “Godfrey’s Lane” passing a vacant area known as Cutler’s Field. It was not until the 1940s and 50s that the field bore two homes, that of Raymond Boucher and that...
Having secured adequate funding for his fledgling school, Bishop MacKinnon realized that the success of this venture now rested on procuring a competent teaching staff. He convened a group at Arichat called “the friends...
In 1897 Bertram Bourinot began the Richmond County Record, a periodical that lasted for almost 80 years. Marshall Bourinot worked with his father and continued the paper into the 1970s. The following excerpts are...
In 1977, the championship round was set: the Petit de Grat Red Caps versus the Louisdale Baracos, two very evenly-matched teams. They had met twice during the season; Louisdale won the first meeting 10-8 and PDG won the second 9-7....
In 1960 in the Richmond County Baseball League, the rivalry between the Petit de Grat Red Caps and the River Bourgeois Tigers once again took centre stage, but this time the Tigers prevailed by sweeping the championship series. The final...
If we resume our journey east along what is now Veteran’s Memorial Drive, there is no habitation until we arrive at the intersection of Arichat-Petit de Grat and the home of Albert Edwards. But...
The 1975 playoffs in the RABA was an eight-team affair with the bottom three teams eliminated from the post season. The match-ups were St. Peter’s vs. Port Hawkesbury, River Bourgeois vs. the Baracos, Arichat vs. Little Anse, and the...
As of 1935 the M. B. MacNeil family were the caretakers of the courthouse. This second courthouse was built in 1848 under the supervision of architect and contractor Alexander MacDonald at a cost of $1,030. Some caretakers...
In 1897 Bertram Bourinot began the Richmond County Record, a periodical that lasted for almost 80 years. Marshall Bourinot worked with his father and continued the paper into the 1970s. The following excerpts are...
In Grand Anse, at the intersection of Route 4 and the road to Dundee, once stood a majestic old home known as McPherson House. In the days of stage coach and rail transportation, McPherson House stood as a welcome stopover...




Port Hawkesbury Reporter
Translate »