It is 1935, Main Street Arichat, and we are nearing “Godfrey’s Lane” passing a vacant area known as Cutler’s Field.
It was not until the 1940s and 50s that the field bore two homes, that of Raymond Boucher and that of Emile Boucher. In 1956 Raymond Boucher married Tilly DeWolfe. Raymond died in 1989 at the age of 76, Tilly was born in 1919. They had one child, a daughter, Annette, born in 1961.
The last house that came into being in Cutler’s Field is that of Emile Boucher (1911-1999). He married Delina Woolf in Halifax and they settled in Arichat in a home that was moved from Robins over the frozen harbour. There were two children, Donald, 1941 and Conrad, 1947. Delina died in 1984 at the age of 78.
Now it is time to return to the old Municipal Building and cross the street so as to cover the southern or water side of the street. And so at G.J. LeBlanc’s store we turn 180 degrees and make our way back to the last structure described on the waterside of the road which was the Sample House.
The home next to the Sample House was that of Cpt. Albert Nicholle, his wife Eva Mae (Babin, who died in 1950) and their son Cyril who was born in 1923. Cpt. Albert was a native of Carbonnere, Newfoundland who had become shipwrecked off Cap La Ronde. This was 1915 and the ship was the Emma Belliveau bound for Newfoundland with a cargo of molasses. A blinding snowstorm drove the ship onto a shoal and three lives were lost. The Foundation Company of Halifax salvaged the wreck after a winter spent lodged on the shoal. Cpt. Nicholl stayed on, married, and continued to skipper freighters in the coastal trade. This stately old home continues in the family of Emile Benoit.
A narrow driveway separated the Nicholl home from that of Professor J. Alphonse Benoit. He bought this home in 1927 from Pierre Constant Terrio (who died in 1931 at the age of 90).
This house and the one immediately west of it (Nicholl), are essentially the same architecturally, and it is believed they were built by Constant P. Terrio and his brother, Simon. Constant had inherited the property in 1867 from his widowed mother, the former Emilie Forest. The exact date of construction is unknown, but it is estimated that Constant built it around 1870 when he would have been 30 years old.
Constant P. Terrio was a notable sea captain, as well as a ship builder and proprietor of a general store he kept alongside his home. In addition, he sold a hard coal which he imported from the States and kept in the LeNoir forge. He married Louise LaVache on January 20, 1864. Upon the passing of his wife, he was remarried to Marie F. LeNoir, widow of Francis Malzard, on July 11, 1903. Then on February 20, 1917, once again a widower, at 77 years of age, he married Marie Sophie Richard who was only 19.